Crochet Free People Vintage Mini Dress - Free Pattern and Handmade Tips

Hello my darlings:)
Today is Friday and my fingers are itching for a crochet hook and a skein of yarn. Oh…well…I am sure a lot of you are like me craving for those extra minutes to crochet among the job, house chores and a little one ( or several) demanding your attention.
If you know what I mean you would also understand me when I say that many nights, at one moment or another I dream that I make a certain dress or a certain bolero. So …yeah…me pretty obsessed with crocheting.:)

Since so many Facebook fans asked for this pattern I took the time ( little as it is) to write it.
I am huge fan of everything crocheted designed by and for Free People brand. However since the price is not exactly affordable I choose to make not buy most of the things I liked from their collections.
The Free People Vintage collection is one of the most popular line they made and sold worldwide. The simple designs and lovely neutral colors make these items ideal for any type of figure.


So here is the pattern for Free People Vintage Mini Dress:


  1. The dress can be made longer. Mine is knee length and one of my friends made it a maxi …so it’s really your choice.
  2. The measurement is done with the help of the square motif. The dress in the pictures is size S ( 36-38) European.
  3. Yarn recommendation. The original is made from medium size worsted cotton with a 3 mm hook. I used mercerized cotton ( Catania) and a size 3 mm hook. Same result.



Here goes:
The upper part is made using the square motif ( 2 rows) . The straps are also made with the square motif.
Square motif:
1.     Ch 12 , sl st to join
2.     C1, 23sc in the loop.
3.     Ch3, 5dc in the next loops, ch7, 6dc in the next loops, ch 7, 6dc in the next loops, ch 7, 6dc in the next loops, ch 7, sl st to join.
The motifs are joined in the corners.
Measure yourself over the chest . Measure the square and divide your measurement by the square measurement to get the number of squares.
Front panel:
The front panel must be measured so it will cover the chest area . Imagine drawing a line from the edge of the shoulders down to the waistline. The resulted rectangle must be filled with the lacy stitch.



Lacy stitch ( worked upwards)
1.     Chain the required length ( multiples of 3)
2.      Ch 3, 2dc, ch3 sk3, *3dc ch3 sk3*….repeat ** till the end of the row, sl st , turn
3.     Ch3,2dc ch1 3dc ( in the ch space), *3dc ch1 3dc* …repeat ** ,sl st, turn
4.     Repeat 2 and 3
5.     Repeat 2 and 3 working at each beginning and ending of the row 1dc ch2 ( the mesh effect). 5 or 6 repetitions are needed . Link to the squares.





Pannels:
For the back ( and straps) and skirt
1.     Chain the required length . ( multiples of 13)
2.     Ch 3 , work 9 dc in the next loops, ch3, *10dc,ch 3*…repeat ** till the end of the row
3.     Ch 3 , work 9 dc in the next loops,ch3 1sc ch3, *10dc in the next loops,ch3 1sc ch3*…repeat **,slst,turn
4.     Repeat 2 and 3 to work up the panels. It is extremely easy.
The beauty of it is that you can easily play with the number of dc to get a looser or a more fitted finish.
I tried linking directly to the lacy front panel. It is easy for the most experienced but you can work separately and join afterwards.
Next you’ll have to make a number of squares ( the number may differ according to your size) for the waistline belt.
Join the belt to the upper section.
The skirt  is worked also with the panel pattern above. However the flared effect is obtained increasing 1dc each 5 or 6 rows.
I made it a little more fitted than the original ( I am petite).
When done, work 2 or more rows of lacy stitch around the bottom.
Finish the arm and neck opening with 6dc shells.
And you are done.

You will says I put in words : easier said than done. But you will be wrong.

The beauty of Free people designs is that they are extremely permissive size wise.
I’ve seen this dress in the maxi version on a size 44 European lady. Larger hips and big breasts and also a generous waistline were complimented by the panel section increased number of dc.

I must say it…since so many women say : I’m too fat to wear crocheted items!

The truth is YOU ARE NOT!

The secret is to wear a crocheted item in your size. Not larger, not smaller.
This is why I always say: Measure yourself first and adapt the pattern accordingly. Until you try you won’t see that it is possible so I encourage you with all my heart to do it.
I hope you like this post and dear to make this amazing vintage, boho chic item for this summer ( and why not…this fall).
Please join us  on Facebook, Pinterest and Google + for more exciting news , models and ideas.

Xoxo
Eva




Comentarii

Trimiteți un comentariu